What is timeshare ownership?
• Simply put, timeshare is joint ownership of a holiday property. Traditional timeshare buys you exclusive use of a specific property
for a specific week, often even the exact unit is specified.
• This is perfect if you prefer to take holidays at the same time every year. Your holiday accommodation is yours and you don’t
have to worry about it being unavailable.
• The purchase price and transfer fees are once-off, after which only an annual levy is payable (used for maintenance of the
How does timeshare work?
• Holiday for life without escalating holiday accommodation costs
• Holidays worldwide at any time of the year
• Use an exchange system for exciting holidays anywhere in South Africa and internationally
• Self-catering, family holidays suitable for all lifestyles, even the most discerning holiday-maker
• Most cost-effective holiday method
• Inheritable asset for heirs
What do I get for my money?
• You are investing in an exclusive timeshare property in a RCI affiliated holiday resort that is exchangeable worldwide.
• You have the choice of the size, location and grade of the property you invest in.
• It is an investment in future holidays, not only for the fact that you will have a holiday every year, but you also have the option to
sell your timeshare, or leave it to your children in your will.
• You can also let friends use your timeshare or you can rent your week out privately.
• There is no obligation to use the holiday at the resort that you purchase at.
• Most owners use it as a smart means of exchange to open the door to other exciting destinations.
• By becoming a member of an exchange company, you can spacebank your week and swop it for an alternative week or/and
resort, anywhere in the world, at anytime of the year, subject to availability.
• As a timeshare owner, you are not bound to exchange your 7 day week for another 7 day week or unit size.
• Via the exchange company’s points system, you could potentially exchange your week for multiple shorter breaks or different unit
sizes, depending on the resort grading and provided you have sufficient points.
• Exchange options are: midweeks (4 nights) weekends (3 nights) and full weeks (7 nights)
• Timeshare ownership will provide you with holiday accommodation each year, in perpetuity.
How do I choose my timeshare ownership?
Use the following guidelines to choose your weeks:
A. The TIME /SEASON of year that you decide you want to holiday in.
Peak: South African government school holidays
Off-Peak: Weeks excluding government school holidays
Peak season timeshare purchase prices are obviously more expensive than off-peak.
If you are able to holiday at a less popular time of year, then you can buy a timeshare at a lower price in lower season.
B. The SIZE of the unit.
Holiday accommodation is designed in units that sleep from 2 people upwards. The smallest unit is a studio apartment which has
a bed-sitting room sleeping a maximum of 2, but the average unit is either a 2 bedroom unit, sleeping 4-6, or a 3 bedroom unit to
The larger the unit, the higher the cost.
C. The TYPE of resort accommodation offered.
Gold Crown Resorts - top quality, five star resorts
Silver Crown Resorts – luxury four star resorts
Hospitality Resorts – comfortable three-star family resorts
When choosing the type of timeshare to buy, it is important to remember that you can only spacebank and exchange your holiday
on a like for like basis.
You can always “trade-down” in quality, but cannot “trade-up”, so you cannot exchange a week in a “Standard” quality studio
apartment for a week in a 2 bedroomed “Gold Crown” unit.
It is a good policy therefore to buy as expensive a holiday package as one can reasonably afford, to avoid possible future
restrictions in choice.
How Timeshare Works
© Copyright Timeshare Resales South Africa 2017 (All Rights Reserved)
How Timeshare Works